documentation notes

From: Tony G <1xrdqj102_at_sneakemail.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2005 02:51:47 -0000

I hope the following is accurate - it's been a long time since I've used cURL.

This is from the man pages:
-B/--use-ascii

Use ASCII transfer when getting an FTP file or LDAP info. For FTP, this can also be enforced by using an URL that ends with ";type=A". This option causes data sent to stdout to be in text mode for win32 systems.

First, this option applies to both get and put operations. While that may be implied, I think this text could use an explicit reference for file updloads.

Second, is it an error that stderr is still not in text mode over win32 after using this option? For example, you can see all output in Notepad but Wordpad doesn't see the EOL delimiters. (Maybe I'm twisting up what's meant by "text mode".)

Third, it seems like an anomaly that the format of output should change depending on the format of the data being transferred. I would think the output should be in a consistent format so that we can code around it and not have to look at the type of data being transferred to decide how to check for errors, etc.

Finally, not related to this option but realted to that last point: I'm using the -o option to redirect output, and I'm using the command line (both win32 and Linux) to direct stderr to a file: "2>filename". But _all_ output is going to the stderr file. Am I missing something?

Thanks!