RE: curl processes hang on windows 2003

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:19:02 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Yuri wrote:

> Thank you for your response. About when it hangs: it looks like it hangs
> randomly, when it hangs processes never finish until they forcefully
> terminated (manual termination or server reboot). It always hangs when "I/O
> Writes"=50.

What does that mean? Who says there was 50 I/O writes?

> Apache does not send data to curl running on Windows after it hangs - there
> were no Apache processes which were running that long, we also did not find
> any log information on Linux suggesting that something wrong going on there.

So curl on windows 2003 requests a URL from an Apache on Linux? When the
problem occur, does the server even log a request?

> Why these processes hang when "I/O Writes"=50 ? Is there some internal
> buffer or counter in curl which got overflow or somehow went out of bounds?

I don't know what it means. Are you suggesting it sent 50 bytes and then
stopped? Does even a simple GET fit within 50 bytes? If so, it sounds as if it
sent the GET to the server and the server never responds with anything.

> Why curl does not recognize that another side of communication has
> connection terminated ?

A silent TCP connection is not an error case by definition. If the server end
resets the connection curl should detect it.

> We are using max time out parameter in command line but it looks like it is
> not used or could not be used due to some reasons.

I don't understand you. Are you saying that you use the option on a
conservative length and it still hangs long after that time has passed?

> If you suggest that this is related to network setup then what network
> settings may cause such behavior?

I have no idea. I have never seen nor tried Windows 2003. I just know that
thousands of people use curl on Windows and this problem has not been reported
before. That indicates that the problem is related to someone unusual in your
system. Or possibly in Windows 2003, since I don't think there are that many
users who use curl on that OS version.

I'm just not a Windows guy, I don't have many ideas on how to track down
problems such as this on your OS of choice.