RE: Is --ftp-retry a good idea?

From: Rich Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:31:51 -0500

----Original Message----
From: Daniel Stenberg [mailto:daniel-curl_at_haxx.se]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:00 AM
To: curl tool talk
Subject: Re: Is --ftp-retry a good idea?

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Rich Gray wrote:
>
>> I still think my approach is more "stable" in terms of the retry
>> interval, whether errors are happening immediately or attempts are
>> timing out on
>> --max-time. Assuming your default back off of one second doubled to
>> a max of 10 min, for attempts which fail immediately (call it one
>> sec.) or 60 seconds, the above example would attempt at:

>> What I proposed would smoothly retry every 30-60 seconds across the
>> --max-retry-time interval. Hmmm, looks like the real problem here
>> is the exponential back off.
>
> I don't see that as a problem. I view that as a good thing!
>
> If it keeps getting problems with the server, I think the exponential
> back off is a sane action. I then think it makes sense that curl
> retries slower and slower.
>
> If the problem is only very temporary, then the initial quick retries
> will pay off immediately.
>
> It is just one of those design principles my gut says is good. :-)

But if one has a long term problem, 10 minute retries seems
excessively course, and there's no way to keep it shorter.

How about

--retry-delay [interval[:increment[:max]]]

--retry-delay default 1 sec with exponential backoff
--retry-delay n n sec retry delay. OH! Was this going to be
                       exponentially increased or just be constant?
--retry-delay n:i initial delay n, increased by i each time
                       default max of 10 minutes
--retry-delay n:i:m default delay n, increase by i each time, max m

Or not. :)

>> p.s. Why does the archive render in proportional font? The above
>> table will look crappy.
>
> I made it so because most mails aren't tables and it easier to read
> the mails when rendered proportional. These days, a large amount of
> people already use proportional fonts in their mail readers too.

It just seems inappropriate for a technical list which is likely to
have listings and such (as above) where spacing does matter.
But ok...

Guess I'm done now. :)

Cheers!
Rich