Re: Is --ftp-retry a good idea?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:00:14 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Rich Gray wrote:

> I still think my approach is more "stable" in terms of the retry interval,
> whether errors are happening immediately or attempts are timing out on
> --max-time. Assuming your default back off of one second doubled to a max
> of 10 min, for attempts which fail immediately (call it one sec.) or 60
> seconds, the above example would attempt at:

> What I proposed would smoothly retry every 30-60 seconds across the
> --max-retry-time interval. Hmmm, looks like the real problem here is the
> exponential back off.

I don't see that as a problem. I view that as a good thing!

If it keeps getting problems with the server, I think the exponential back off
is a sane action. I then think it makes sense that curl retries slower and
slower.

If the problem is only very temporary, then the initial quick retries will pay
off immediately.

It is just one of those design principles my gut says is good. :-)

> p.s. Why does the archive render in proportional font? The above table will
> look crappy.

I made it so because most mails aren't tables and it easier to read the mails
when rendered proportional. These days, a large amount of people already use