Re: RE-2: With Curl the last two lines are missing of all the file in beh eer.t-mobile.nl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:05:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Andre vd Berg wrote:

>> Have you tried to set the user-agent to look like IE?

> What do you mean by "the user-agent", and how can I set it to look like IE?

http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html#-A--user-agent

... and set it to something like (freshly extracted from a httpd log):

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; dial; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

>> Option 1. modify curl to not respect the content-length this blindly

> Can you give me a hint in what part of the software I'll have to make
> changes?

lib/transfer.c around line 680

>> option 2. prevent the content-length from arriving to curl by using a
>> filtering proxy or similar

> Can you tell me how using a filtering proxy exactly works? Must I be a'n
> expert?

If you need to ask this, I think this option is out of your league.

>> Option 4. convince a curl developer that curl is somehow wrong and he/she
>> can do #1

> Trying to persuade someone: When you could modify curl to not respect the
> content-length blindly, curl would become more complete.

I don't think anyone object to that. The thing is, I don't know in what
circumstance we should ignore the Content-Length, as we *need* to adapt to the
content-length size in very many cases. Just ignoring can be a quick fix for
your particular case, but it will no doubt ruin curl for a large number of
people.

Thus, we cannot just ignore the size.

> Everyone would say: unbelievable, what a perfection. How is it possible that
> such a developer exists.

I think you over-estimate the amount of appreciation people show authors of
open source. ;-)

> They should be knighted and should receive a large amount of money. Does it
> do the trick?

If you would in fact be ready to pay a decent fee for this to be added, then I
believe you'd have a greater chance to see it done.

However, I still don't know what the actual technical solution to this problem
is. Regardless of programmer, money or whatever.