Re: An idea on separate options for different URLs

From: Doug McNutt <douglist_at_macnauchtan.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:02:35 -0600

At 23:09 +0200 7/31/04, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>I would like to enhance the tool curl to make it able to deal with options set to specific URLs, so that we can make multiple requests easily, using a single command line (and thus use persistent connections etc).

It could be argued that you are opening the door to browser functions which come with the danger that curl might become yet another bloated application. With that in mind. . .

iCab is a browser for the Macintosh <http://www.icab.de>. I think of it as "my programmer's browser" because it does a lot of nice things that curl users would find appropriate. It's pre-encryption logging capability is most helpful when curling into bank and brokerage sites.

iCab has the ability to set up "filters" which are indexed by the text of a URL with wild cards allowed. When you access a site that matches a filter the preferences of iCab are automatically changed to the filter settings. That can include things like enabling Java or JavaScript, setting the ID string, allowing popups, enabling cookies, and pretty much everything one can select with the GUI.

How about an editable filters file which could be specified on curl's command line? Defaulted to $HOME/.curlfilters perhaps?

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--