Re: capturing octet streams - unknown MIME types

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:31:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Upuaut wrote:

> Using wget, I attempted to capture files, but was unsuccessful.. the server
> returns a page saying the file has moved (302) and serves a generic
> barebones page. I'm guessing this is becuase wget can't capture octet
> streams and/or unknown mime types (or I don't know how to make it do so)

I think you're wrong. wget is a highly capable tool and "octet streams" are
just a name for byte-oriented data.

I think you get the problems because the server requires cookies or something.

> I looked around and found that curl could do that.

curl can too, yes.

> My question is: how?

Give it a URL and it'll transfer it. Try the manual.

> And would I be able to do the same with wget?

You mean transferring a file over HTTP? Most often wget can do it too, yes.