Re:curl: (60) error setting cerficate verify locations

From: Simon Poulston <simon_at_colugo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:51:43 +0000

Thank you for your comments.

I didn't actually install curl or openssl, I am working with a standard
install of SuSE 8.2 done by our host?

I am sure they will be using 9.0 now so not to worry.

Any way I have downloaded the updated versions and will reinstall.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Simon Poulston wrote:

> I have been searching on this problem for several days now and cannot
> seem to get to bottom of it?
>
> SuSE Linux 8.2
> libcurl/7.10.2

I think you should consider updating this.

> OpenSSL/0.9.6i
>
> When I run curl -v https://www.paypal.com
>
> I get an error
>
> curl: (60) error setting cerficate verify locations

This indicates that you haven't installed curl with 'make install' or
that you
pointed to a missing file/dir with the configure options, as the CA
bundle
isn't where it is assumed to be.

This command line works perfectly for me.

> The spelling mistake is how it is coming back. I assume it should be
> "certificate"

If you get a newer version, you'll get a spellfix and a huge
descriptive error
text when you try (and fail) this.

> curl -k -v https://www.paypal.com
>
> it runs fine and sets up a secure connection

No, -k's long opion name is --insecure and using it truly means that the
connection is not secure, it is HTTPS - but not secure. It could be an
imposter you talk to.

> I have checked the path (dir), in /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf and I have tried
> changing it to /etc/ssl from ./demoCA but this doesn't seem to help. I
> aslo
> ran the c_rehash /etc/ssl/certs just incase. Is there something really
> simple I am missing here?

Yes, curl is not using these paths you mention unless you told it to
when you
built it. By default, curl installs (and uses) its CA bundle as
/usr/local/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt