RE: Curl command line producing some 0 byte file output (http)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:07:09 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Thompson, Blake wrote:

> curl
> "http://localhost/sbygad61backup/totalrew.nsf/Printable+Order?OpenView&Expan
> dView&Count=2000" -S > career-forsearch.txt

May I suggest that you use -o instead of redirecting with > ? If you do that,
curl won't produce any file at all in case of failure. You should also
consider storing/outputting the error code from the curl command, if not for
your own sake, at least for debugging this problem.

I suspect that curl has failed here, and the zero byte file is because it
never performed any transfer.

Another, more data-generating thing to do to track this down would be to add
--trace [file] to each command line, as then we could analyze the trace files
afterwards for the transfers that failed.