Re: Request for --noheaders option

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:26:51 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Patrick Lannigan wrote:

> I need to send XML to https://someurl.com/abc/xyz.asp
>
> The trouble is the site really isn't using HTTP protocol at all and just
> expect the "XML" with no HTTP headers whatsoever (i.e. using the -d option
> (to send the xml data) *without* sending the "POST" header - or any other
> headers)!

To me it sounds like 'netcat'
(http://www.atstake.com/research/tools/network_utilities/) will do the job for
you just fine. It seems like overkill to use curl for this.

> I got a friend to do the code in Java but I would much rather use curl.exe
> command line tool to do this (because it's *so* well supported by people
> like you).

I'm happy to see your positive attitude towards curl!

> I realize that this may be "out of scope" but I've seen (a few) similar
> requests from other people on the mailing list archives, in the past, and
> thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, the rise of "throwing XML" at URL's
> is becoming more popular overall, and this would represent a new use for
> curl.
>
> I realize that I could do a special compile myself - to create my own
> version of curl - but I'm a blundering idiot when it comes to compiling
> (especially on windows).

I wouldn't mind having curl capable of doing such a stunt, but it would not
only mean that it would have to skip sending the request line and all the
associated headers, it would also have to close the connection to signal
end-of-transfer, which no POST operation in curl does today.

I don't have any plans in the pipe to add this within the nearest future.

> I could donate a $100 or so dollars to "the cause" (and sorry if such a
> little amount is offensive to anyone) if that helps.

I never turn down donations, no matter how small the amount is. Most donations
have been significantly less than US$ 100... This said, I'd like to point out
that donations are meant to be just that: donations. They should be seen as a
way to show appreciation for what already exists, not a way to buy yourself
new features.

(I'm not turning down the idea of allowing people to pay for new features, I'm
just saying that isn't what donations are about.)