Re: Reliving an old compile problem

From: Fabian <dvda2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:31:42 -0800 (PST)

--- Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Fabian wrote:
>
> > I searched the archives for this and have found
> results but not that help to
> > much in my account. I was hoping I can get some
> help. I have not done source
> > compile installs in about 2 years so I am
> unfortunately a bit out of
> > practice.
>
> Did you ever compile anything on this particular
> machine?

Yes, compiled the db, web server and php all in house.
Then the company was sold and I moved on, I help them
from time to time but alas its been a while on this
machine :)

> > So here is the problem:
> >
> > I get this error:
> > "checking for C compiler default output...
> configure:
> > error: C compiler cannot create executables"
> >
> > From the docs I tried seting the gcc cc
> environments with CC but that did
> > not work :(
>
> Why did you try that? Do you have multiple gcc
> versions installed?

I tried that because, in other mail archives here you
suggested it to similar error results, the install
docs also mentioned setting CC=cc and such. No I do
not believe I have multiple gcc

> [config.log]
>
> > configure:2543: checking for C compiler default
> output
> > configure:2592: gcc conftest.c >&5
> > ../../gcc/gcc.c:2325: Internal compiler error in
> > function execute
>
> Look at this. Your compiler fails to compile the
> most simple C program. You
> can't compile curl with a compiler that breaks at
> this.
>
> I suggest you get a binary package with a much newer
> gcc version and then
> re-try to build curl.

Thanks someone also suggested upgrading gcc (which i
know exists on this server, could not compile other
app otherwise). I will give these suggestions a try
tonight.

=====