Re: compile problem

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:20:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 smallinfinity_at_singlesphere.com wrote:

> I downloaded the source, and attempted to compile on RedHat 9.0 and i got
> this error while running the config:
>
> checking for sys/utime.h... no
> checking for sys/poll.h... yes
> checking for setjmp.h... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> checking for size_t... yes
> checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
> checking for off_t... yes
> checking size of off_t... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (off_t), 77
>
> Anyone know how to get around it?

This error happens because configure fails to run the test program it made to
check for the off_t size. A very common reason for this failure is that the
OpenSSL libraries were found by configure using the options you've provided
(earlier on in one of the previous checks), but the run-time linker (ld.so)
can't load the libraries at run-time due to lack of info (using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf).

By checking config.log for the above failure, you can see for yourself what
kind of error configure got when it tried to find the off_t size.