[ curl-Bugs-817147 ] curl does not check SSL subjectAltNames when matching certs

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 06:23:10 -0700

Bugs item #817147, was opened at 2003-10-03 14:23
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=817147&group_id=976

Category: https
Group: new feature request

Initial Comment:
This has been raised before, but curl (all versions up

to 7.10.7) won't allow verified SSL connections to

hosts whose names are not in the CN component of their

subject name,

RFC 2818 states that the DNS subjectAltNames should

also be checked for containing the host name.

Since some services are replicated over multiple

machines (but addressed by a single alias), this causes

unwarranted failure modes in curl.

The attached patch steals the OpenLDAP subjectAltName

recognition code, and patches it into curl 7.10.6. Hope

it proves useful. I haven't tested it extensively, but

it seems to match our DNS subjectAltNames, and properly

craps out when you hit it with a certificate which has

no matching component.

Neil Dunbar