Re: Large file support compilation problems

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:01:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Vladimír Trebický wrote:

> > It seems you're all set to use large files. Now you only need to adjust
> > the source code to behave properly too.
>
> Ok, but how?

I'll speak out loudly clearly:

curl and libcurl do not support file transfers larger than 2GB today. You can
still do it if you're using chunked HTTP transfers, but for all other
transfers you need to fix the problems in the curl and libcurl source code.

> gcc -O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrength-reduce -fschedule-i
> nsns -o .libs/curl main.o hugehelp.o urlglob.o writeout.o writeenv.o
> ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so -ldl -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> hugehelp.o: In function `hugehelp':
> hugehelp.o(.text+0x52): undefined reference to `inflateInit2_'
> hugehelp.o(.text+0x7b): undefined reference to `inflate'
> hugehelp.o(.text+0xb1): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'

Those are zlib functions.

This is a problem I happened to introduce in 7.10.6 because I accidentally
included the wrong version of scr/hugehelp.c in the distribution archive (this
version is compressed and requires zlib to uncompress). You can remove it, and
it should be regenerated fine by the makefile and then it should not require
zlib anymore...

> Maybe adding --enable-largefiles to configure line helped...

Nope. There's no such option to curl's configure. And as you showed us,
configure detected that the compiler doesn't need any extra options to support
large files.

> > You have read the docs/KNOWN_BUGS about the 2GB limit, right?
>
> Well, there is only one line:
> * libcurl does not deal nicely with files larger than 2GB
>
> and that is not relevant because I want only curl.

curl is useless without libcurl, as libcurl does all the file transfering.
Thus, the 2GB problem is not really a curl problem, it is a libcurl problem
and as such it is highly relevant for you.