Re: relative path with ftp using curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:19:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-15] François Pons wrote:

> > Not all tools allow // to specify an absolute directory. Curl used to
> > allow this as well, but we had to abandon this idea when we adjusted to
> > follow RFC1738 more strictly.
>
> We will change our reference in order to drop the double slashes.

Please do, as that is not how it is supposed to be done.

> > What tools accept // as an absolute path marker?
>
> wget still accept that

Right, wget does the "CWD [fullpath]" approach. It also has some really magic
mumbo jumbo to convert the fullpath depending on what it figures out about the
target ftp servers etc that I really don't like.

> in fact the problem is more about user which have been used to use double
> slashes for that.

I agree. I've even suggested this myself in the past.

> > If I were to accept a patch for this malformat, I would rather prefer a
> > patch that clearly identifies the initial double slash, and acted on that.
> > Not on every case of double slashes.
>
> The last patch submitted should allow this only for the first slahes,
> reducing as many slashes (more than 2) as only 2.

Oh right, it certainly does.

I'm still relucatant to apply it, since it isn't the "right" way of doing
this. I'll try to think things over to see if this can induce any problems...