Re: relative path with ftp using curl

From: François Pons <fpons_at_mandrakesoft.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2003 12:47:42 +0200

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> writes:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-15] François Pons wrote:
>
> > > Try "ftp//user:pass/%2fdir". (The server will url-decode the %2f as a /
> >
> > Yes, thanks, it works.
>
> It not only works, it is the only defined way to do it.
>
> > But other tools allows a double // at the beginning to be interpreted as an
> > absolute directory ?
>
> Not all tools allow // to specify an absolute directory. Curl used to allow
> this as well, but we had to abandon this idea when we adjusted to follow
> RFC1738 more strictly.

We will change our reference in order to drop the double slashes.

> Many tools do exactly what curl did before, they CWD into the full directory
> at once, which then makes it easy to allow // for the root dir of the remote
> server. That method of changing directory is however not working on all kinds
> of FTP servers (and thus the main reason why curl doesn't do it like that
> anymore).
>
> What tools accept // as an absolute path marker?

wget still accept that, in fact the problem is more about user which have been
used to use double slashes for that.

> If I were to accept a patch for this malformat, I would rather prefer a patch
> that clearly identifies the initial double slash, and acted on that. Not on
> every case of double slashes.

The last patch submitted should allow this only for the first slahes, reducing
as many slashes (more than 2) as only 2.

François.