RE: curl-7.10.6-pre4

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MAPLLC.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:45:12 -0400

I just built, under Cygwin 1.5.0 (a beta version), and it was error-free.

I tried out the NTLM support and it failed. My client-side is windows 2000
professional, SP3, within Cygwin 1.5.0. My server-side is a Windows 2000
advanced server, at SP3, running IIS 5.

Here's the output from curl.exe:

THR_at_FDYP137857 /usr/src/curl-7.10.6-pre4
$ curl -v --ntlm http://testweb.fdy.moc.com/__test/auth.inc.asp
* About to connect() to testweb.fdy.moc.com:80
* Connected to fdyds400.fdy.moc.com (89.2.45.40) port 80
> GET /__test/auth.inc.asp HTTP/1.1
Authorization: NTLM TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAAgIAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAACAAAAA=
 zlib/1.1.4
Host: testweb.fdy.moc.com
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

< HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied
< Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
< Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:37:40 GMT
< WWW-Authenticate: NTLM TlRMTVNTUAACAAAAAAAAADAAAAACAgAAbe33tuxceKIAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAwAAAA
* Ignoring the response-body
* Connection #0 left intact

* Issue another request to this URL: 'http://testweb.fdy.moc.com/__test/auth.inc
.asp'
* Re-using existing connection! (#0)
* Connected to (89.2.45.40) port 80
> GET /__test/auth.inc.asp HTTP/1.1
Authorization: NTLM TlRMTVNTUAADAAAAGAAYAEkAAAAAAAAAYQAAAAAAAABAAAAACQAJAEAAAAAA
AAAASQAAAAAAAABhAAAAAYIAAGFub255bW91c34Fv+fJPR8i6m7PzXZAlprIz95q1R03yw==
 zlib/1.1.4
Host: testweb.fdy.moc.com
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

< HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied
< Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
< Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:37:40 GMT
< WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
* Authentication problem. Ignoring this.
< WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
< WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="testweb.fdy.moc.com"
< Connection: close

and here's the two event log messages I observed on the server side:

  The logon to account: anonymous
   by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
   from workstation:
   failed. The error code was: 3221225572

  Logon Failure:
         Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
         User Name: anonymous
         Domain:
         Logon Type: 3
         Logon Process: NtLmSsp
         Authentication Package: NTLM
         Workstation Name:

Notice that there's no account name, or workstation name, appearing in the error messages.

I'd assume that means the NTLM challenge/response was unintelligable.

If there's anything else I can do to help nail this down, please let me know. NTLM support will be *much* appreciated once it's working!

- Kevin