Re: Problem with SSL server under libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:22:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Herménégille Després wrote:

> I looked to simplessl.c to figure out how I should do. I want
> informations on my account but for some reason I can't store HTML in my
> struct object like I did with HTTP server. I tried to create a CA for client
> with the CA.sh utility but I have some error during the process. What I want
> to know is:
>
> -Is it necessary to create a certificate?

A CA cert is only necessary if you want to verify the peer. If you don't care
if the peer is the one it claims to be, then you don't need a CA cert.

> if yes,
> -Is CA.sh is a good utility to create certificate?
> (I know that you talk about it in you doc section
> on the official web page)

I don't know.

> if yes,
> -When do I specify the URL?

You mean while using a tool to create a CA cert? I have no idea. I have never
done this myself.

> -Does a certificate is valid for more than one URL?

A CA cert verifies a peer certificate. It can verify more than one host, yes,
and thus more than one URL too.

> -Should I create a new handle to get the html from
> the server? (I think not)

Gettting HTLM from a HTTPS site is done the same way as you get it from a HTTP
site. The only things that differ are the SSL and HTTPS options you set with
curl_easy_setopt().

If you disable the peer verification, for testing, you'll figure that out
quick and easy enough.