Re: curl hangs at end of download (Win32)

From: www.mail <www.mail_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:01:08 +0100

At 21:12 19/06/2003, Daniel Stenberg, wrote:

> > I have just started using curl 7.10.5 on Windows 2000.
> >
> > Every so often, it hangs at the end of a download. The file has been
> > downloaded completely and I can open it or whatever, but curl does not
> exit.
> >
> > Unfortunately, when I then run curl using --verbose to download the same
> > file again, it exits properly, so I can't find out where it is hanging
> > (although from the verbose output, all curl seems to state after having
> > downloaded the file, is that it is closing the connection).
> >
> > Is this a known issue, and is there any way round it?
>
>This is not a known issue, no.
>
>Using --verbose changing nothing that is related to the actual network
>process, so your different behavior when this is used is truly odd.
>
>Can you tell us a public URL and command line that you see this "effect" on?
>
>Also, how long does it "hang"?

I had a list of about 100 URLs to download, and it seemed to hang at
random. I'm not sure how long it would have continued to hang for, but
when I came back to my computer the first time, the current time for the
download was at around 25 minutes, and the file being downloaded should
have been downloaded in around 20 seconds, so I just quit the
command. Luckily, the files I was downloading were quite small, so I was
able to delete them and repeat the test quickly.

After writing to curl-users, I noticed an article in the mailing list
archives about the difference between using HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1. This
gave me the idea to try passing the header "Connection: close". This seems
to have solved the problem. I can now download all of the URLs, and curl
exits successfully each time.

Thanks for your reply.

Jonny