Re: Transferring large files using curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:19:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Steve Oliphant wrote:

> When we try to GET a file larger than 2^31 bytes (2147483648 bytes) the
> transfer stops with an error stating that there are (some large negative
> number) bytes remaining.

This is mentioned in the docs/KNOWN_BUGS document.

> It appears we have exceeded the internal size variable which causes curl to
> fail.

Yes, there are several places in the code that isn't "safe" for >2GB
operations. Fixing this requires an audit and probably multiple fixes.

I would love to see this corrected, and I would of course participate in
making it so, but I won't make it happen all by myself.

> Also - when we put a large file (> 2 GB) using chunked encoding, the
> transfer is successful but the printed statistics are incorrect and contain
> negative numbers.

Surely the effect of a signed 32bit variable overflow.

> I have looked at the updates for 7.10.4 and 7.10.5 and I do not see any
> mention of an update that would address this problem.

Correct. And there's still no sign of fixes for this in the CVS tree either.