Re: Problem with --continue-at

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:05:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> 1. I was hoping adding "-D-" would help, and it does, to some extent. It
> does indeed show the response headers, but it ALSO appears to be adding
> them to the output file (my binary file).

Are you really sure? If so, it sounds like a bug, but a quick test in my end
did not show this behavior. It wasn't just that you already had used -i and
ruined the output file?

> 2. I tried "-D some.file.headers", with the same result -- it wrote them
> to my file, and ALSO appended them to the -O file.

Neither my 7.10.2 nor 7.10.5 do this (on linux).

> 3. To fix it "properly", I'd propose that the HTTP response headers should
> NOT be written to the output file... At least, not in the case where
> -v was used, because the natural inclination would be that response
> headers would show up in the same place as request headers.

Starting with 7.10.5, the response headers are shown when -v is used, sent to
the same output stream that the rest of the -v output is. It especially makes
sense when you use ftp.

> At the very least, in the case where -C is used, the response headers
> should NOT be written to the output file! Because they've ALREADY
> been dumped into that file (when the 1st few bytes were downloaded).

You're right. It is kind of odd to get them again. :-)

But, I'm not so sure this is a real problem anymore since -v will now give
you info you want so that you won't accidentally use -i unless you really
want the headers sent to the data output target.

Or am I wrong?