Re: curl over an ftp proxy?

From: Philip Newton <pnewton_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:15:10 +0200

On 14 Apr 2003 at 15:50, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Philip Newton wrote:
>
> > Looking around, I saw this message (
> > http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2001-03/0001.html ) from two years ago stating
> > that curl doesn't support FTP proxies... is this still the case? Are there
> > any plans for FTP proxy support in the future?
>
> I personally never add features just for the sake of adding things, I add
> features because I need them or others tell me they'd like them.
>
> Until your mail now, I didn't think anyone wanted this.

I see.

> > (For what it's worth, our proxy uses the following method to connect to
> > "remotehost" as "user" with password "password":
[snip]

> I figure you can handicraft a command line to curl that'll use your proxy
> correctly?
>
> Something like:
>
> curl ftp://user%40remotehost:password@ftpproxyhost/path/to/remote/file

Ah! That might just work... hang on...

$ curl -x '' -O -v
'ftp://xxxxxxxxxx%40newton.digitalspace.net:yyyyyyyyyy@proxy.de.gedas.vw
g/public_html/index.html'
* About to connect() to (nil):21
* Connected to proxy.de.gedas.vwg (139.1.84.67) port 21
> USER xxxxxxxxxx_at_newton.digitalspace.net
> PASS yyyyyyyyyy
* We have successfully logged in
> PWD
* Entry path is '/'
> CWD public_html
> EPSV
> PASV
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Well, nearly. (--disable-epsv didn't help either; it segfaulted after
the 'PASV'.)

On the other hand, it would be nice to hide such variables in ~/.curlrc
rather than having to type it in by hand all the time.

> > I can use curl over our HTTP proxy, but it seems a bit wrong; it would be
> > nice to get it to work over the FTP proxy as well.
>
> Would you be capable of providing us with a patch for this?

Hm... I don't know.

I could download the source code and have a look, I suppose. Not
knowing the code, I don't know how easy or hard adding such a thing
would be. I'll have a look.

(It isn't that vital to me since I can download through our HTTP proxy,
but I'll see what I can do anyway. I only know about our firewall
setting, but looking in ncftp's firewall configuration gives me another
few example behaviours.)

Cheers,
Philip

--