Re: curl segmentation fault

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:42:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Daniel A. Shockley wrote:

> I am running curl on Mac OS X 10.2.4, which includes version 7.7.2 of curl.
> I get a segmentation fault when attempting to run any curl command, even
> when trying to obtain the version with curl -V

curl 7.7.2 was released in April 2001. It is so old, I don't think there are
many people alive who even remembers it! ;-)

Seriously, there are numerous bugs in that release, most of them fixed and
corrected during the years that have followed its release.

> I'll try to post this on Apple's discussion forums, as well. The crash log
> for the problem seems to be the same type of crash each time. Does anyone
> here know how to read these kind of reports? I haven't learned how to read
> the crash reports to determine what is causing the crash.

Those register dumps and stack traces aren't very useful to work with. If you
*really* want to see what is crashing this, then rebuild curl with full debug
symbols and rerun the crashing command using gdb (or run it post-mortem on
the core dump).

If I were you, I'd slip in a question in that bug report to the Apple guys
asking when they're gonna update the curl installation...

Good luck!