Re: SSL dll conflict with PHP Apache module

From: hunter <theantigod_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 05 Apr 2003 22:03:06 -0500

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 17:09, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> I've got Apache/PHP installed on my windows box for developing web apps on
> my local computer. I am also trying to use CURL from the command line. I
> get errors when trying to access SSL sites, and I believe it is due to a DLL
> conflict. When I install the DLLs from the CURL website it works fine, but
> then my PHP/Apache configuration gives me errors on startup.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of how to get both of these things working at
> once?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl Youngblood

> Dedicated Hosting for just $79/mo with 500 GB of bandwidth!
> No other company gives more support or power for your dedicated server
> http://click.atdmt.com/AFF/go/sdnxxaff00300020aff/direct/01/
Carl,

I'm guessing, but you are running on Windows? If not ignore this note.

I don't know enough to give you an absolute answer, but I have had a
previous experience that may help you figure out what you need to do.

I have (build and use) Apache and OpenSSL.

When I got curl for the first time, to play around with it, I got both
the SSL version as well as the non-SSL version. I could get the non-SSL
version to work ok but the SSL version would't do anything ... no errors
... nothing. I gave up and left it for a while.

Then (somehow) I did something that generated an error ... I cannot
remember how I did it and I can't reproduce it. But the jest of this
is, it was looking for (trying to load DLL's with different names). I
renamed my SSL DLL's (I think) to these names and it worked. Later on I
built the code (cURL/libcurl) myself and no longer have trouble, but I
am still not totally certain of the issue.

What I think happened is that OpenSSL changed the names of their DLL's
... your Apache/PHP is using the new named ones and cURL wants the older
ones. I think the SSL libs from the cURL site are old.

This doesn't totally make sense - but I havn't taken the time to figure
it out -- I have built the code myself and don't have the problem any
more. But I also can't confirm what I built works with SSL either ... I
never got around to checking.

I have to look again to see if I had to change anything with the recent
builds ... I don't think so, but I will try building cURL again and see.

In the mean time, I have a tool you can run to look at what DLL's are
needed and perhaps this will help you figure out what to do. It will
list the DLL's a program needs and will say if it can or cannot load
them.

A friend at work wrote the tool, there are no restrictions on its use,
copying or otherwise and obviously there is no support or guarantee -
it won't hurt anything though.

http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/tools/jschkdll.exe

[c:\]jschkdll.exe curl.exe

If I discover more information I will send you a note...
Let me know how you make out.

Chris.