Re: FTP server issue in 7.10.4

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 23:40:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> I was looking forward to building up this new version, but ran into a long
> list of tests that failed:
>
> 102 103 106 120 121 124 126 127 136 137

Annoying.

> After some digging, the problem appears to be related to line-endings
> again. I made the following patch to tests/ftpserver.pl, and they seemed to
> be fine after that:

[CR to CRLF conversion patch cut out]

> Apparently, the data being read in from the test102 file had unix
> line-endings (\n), but when printing the data back out to the SOCK in
> ftpserver.pl, those were getting changed to \r\n's (internet standard...).
> Changing the size calculation to be aware of this switch fixes the issue.

I would prefer to work harder on getting all the data read, written, received
and sent as binary.

Can you check if inserting 'binmode SOCK;' after the socket(SOCK, ...) and
accept(SOCK, ...) calls makes it work better?

> I don't know whether this affects just windows machines, or all of them...

Most non-windows operating systems don't use text vs binary modes, and thus
won't be affected.

> I also had to adjust test #110. It had a hard-coded size of 85, and after
> changing it to 87 it worked OK.

I figure this is because it had two newlines that were replaced?

> Note - it doesn't affect the curl code, just the test code, so I don't see
> any reason to re-release version 7.10.4...

I agree with that conclusion.

> p.s. Tests 500 and 503 are still not working, if run after a previous one
> (such as 138). They work fine individually though. Daniel - I think you
> said you grabbed a copy of Cygwin and fixed this problem; did the fix make
> it into this codebase?

I did run the tests and it worked fine then with my fixes that I committed at
the time. I guess I will have to do it again and check some more. And verify
that I really did commit the fixes!

Thanks for your report!