Re: cURL on HP-UX 11.00

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:16:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 Simon.Hargrave_at_directline.com wrote:

> I've downloaded and installed the HP-UX 11.00 7.9.8 binary install from
> http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
>
> It all runs and works as I'd expect, however running a trace on it it
> appears not to load the libssl.a library (or even attempt to load any ssl
> librarys from anywhere on the server).

Isn't .a an extention for static libraries on HPUX as well? (it is on other
ones)

> I'm assuming therefore that this installation has been statically linked
> with the ssl routines required

If it shows you the OpenSSL version when you do 'curl -V', then yes. If it
doesn't show any OpenSSL version, then it was built without SSL support.

> and that I shouldn't be concerned but it's not possible for it to be
> accessing the https site unencrypted is it?

You can never access https sites unencrypted. HTTPS demands SSL, and that
means encryption. HTTP, however, is unencrypted.

> Can anyone confirm whether this version is statically linked, and that it
> is indeed downloading securely?

curl 7.9.8 does not do peer verification by default, so beware of man in the
middle attacks unless you enable it.

We have released 4 later curl releases since that version.