Re: Build problems on AIX with fd_set (maybe net/if.h too)?

From: Ray DeGennaro at Eaglerock IS <ray.degennaro_at_eriscorp.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:19:28 -0600

Sorry, I forgot to reply to the list and just replied to Daniel. A
little summary if anybody's interested and has lost the thread:

I'm trying to build cURL on an AIX box, because the folks that own
the box are semi-paranoid about non-vendor supplied pre-compiled
binaries, and the set of options that are best for this site, doesn't
match the options with the pre-compiled binaries I've found for AIX.

The problem that I get is a parse error with fd_set. Please see the
complete error [1] at the bottom.

At 09:01 +0100 3/7/03, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Ray DeGennaro at Eaglerock IS wrote:
>
>> I tried a fresh download of curl-7.10.3, but I still get that error
>> with fd_set. But, I did notice this error when running 'configure':
>>
>> checking net/if.h presence... yes
> > configure: WARNING: net/if.h: present but cannot be compiled
>> configure: WARNING: net/if.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
>> configure: WARNING: net/if.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
>> configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
>> configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-autoconf_at_gnu.org. ##
>> configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
>> checking for net/if.h... yes
>>
>> Could the fd_set problem be related to this:
>>
>> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=694936&group_id=976>
>>
>> reported bug? Is/will/could this be addressed in 7.10.4?
>
>Thanks for your details.
>
>This is one of the things I'm currently trying to sort and that's
>delaying the 7.10.4 release. I just don't have any access to a AIX
>machine myself so resolving this issue takes a while and I fully
>depend on the feedback of people using AIX boxes...

Please let me know if you need me to try anything else.

>Why is this lack of net/if.h a serious error you say? What is the
>effect of this? What headers are prerequisite for net/if.h in your
>AIX?

I'm not sure. I pointed it out, along with the SourceForge Bug
Report, because it looks like something's a little amiss with the use
of auto-config. Maybe that's what's triggering or is another symptom
of the problem.

Another detail:

The client site has gcc version 2.7.2.2. Maybe a compiler update (if
I'm allowed) and a recompile of m4, automake and autoconf followed by
a clean ./configure and make of cURL might do the trick?

Ray

[1] The complete original error:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I../include -I../lib -I../lib
-I/usr/local/ssl/include/open
ssl -I/usr/local/ssl/include -g -O2 -c file.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/file.TPlo -o file.o
In file included from ../include/curl/curl.h:802,
                  from cookie.h:19,
                  from urldata.h:36,
                  from file.c:67:
../include/curl/multi.h:109: parse error before `fd_set'
In file included from file.c:67:
urldata.h:241: parse error before `fd_set'
urldata.h:241: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
urldata.h:242: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
urldata.h:245: parse error before `readfd'
urldata.h:245: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
urldata.h:246: parse error before `writefd'
urldata.h:246: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
urldata.h:247: parse error before `rkeepfd'
urldata.h:247: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
urldata.h:248: parse error before `wkeepfd'
urldata.h:248: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
urldata.h:251: parse error before `}'
urldata.h:392: field `keep' has incomplete type

Stop.

Stop.

Stop.
#

--
| =-=-=-=-=-=-= Eagle Rock Information Systems Corp =-=-=-=-=-=-= |