[ curl-Bugs-699293 ] Configure netinet/if_ether.h test fails (Tru64)

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 02:19:27 -0800

Bugs item #699293, was opened at 2003-03-07 02:19
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=699293&group_id=976

Category: compile or build problem
Group: portability problem

Initial Comment:
Hello,

  I'm trying to compile curl 7.10.4pre3 (the problem
was the same on 7.10.3).
  OS is Tru64 5.1
iahhel> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local1/Tru64-5.1
[...]
checking netinet/if_ether.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: present but
cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: check for
missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: proceeding with
the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ##
------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to
bug-autoconf_at_gnu.org. ##
configure: WARNING: ##
------------------------------------ ##
checking for netinet/if_ether.h... yes
[...]

As suggested I reported this to the autoconf people and
here's the
answer I received (and why I'm entering this bug
report) from Akim
Demaille:

---------- start autoconf answer

Please, report this to the package maintainers, as it's
a configure.ac
problem. The Autoconf 2.57 doc says:

      Previous versions of Autoconf merely checked
whether the header was
   accepted by the preprocessor. This was changed
because the old test was
   inappropriate for typical uses. Headers are
typically used to compile,
   not merely to preprocess, and the old behavior
sometimes accepted
   headers that clashed at compile-time. If you need
to check whether a
   header is preprocessable, you can use
`AC_PREPROC_IFELSE' (*note
   Running the Preprocessor::).

      This scheme, which improves the robustness of the
test, also requires
   that you make sure that headers that must be
included before the
   HEADER-FILE be part of the INCLUDES, (*note Default
Includes::). If
   looking for `bar.h', which requires that `foo.h' be
included before if
   it exists, we suggest the following scheme:

   AC_CHECK_HEADERS([foo.h])
   AC_CHECK_HEADERS([bar.h], [], [],
   [#if HAVE_FOO_H
   # include <foo.h>
   # endif
   ])
---------- end autoconf answer

Best regards,
Jeremie Petit, (contact me with my "hp" email address
if needed, that's where I work, put a dot between first
name and last name)