Re: Configure problem on HP-UX

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:08:16 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Rohit Srivastava wrote:

> I just the downloaded the latest version of libcURL (7.10.3) , and tried
> running the configure script.
> it failed because issues related to "select" syscall.
>
> Here are the details:
> 1) config.log (Attached)
> 2) Compiler : aCC : HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.31

I think your HP-UX version is also a factor here. Seems to be 11.00...

> Configure tries to check for header file 'sys/select.h'.

Right, but the absense of that header should not be reason for a compile
failure and I don't think it is here either.

> Such a file is not available on system, rather the select call is declared
> in
>
> 'sys/time.h'
>
> Configure also tries to check for workable 'select' call. There also it
> fails..

No, it checks if the include file is usable and it checks for the presense
of a select function, it does not check if the function itself is usable.

The check for the presense of select() fails due to the compiler being very
strict about things, as the config.log shows:

(This is the first error out of two when checking for the select function.)

configure:14734: checking for select
configure:14784: aCC -Ae -o conftest -g conftest.c >&5
Error 42: "configure", line 14809 # ANSI C requires same function
declarations to have compatible types. Previous function declaration was "int
select(int,fd_set *,fd_set *,fd_set *,timeval *)" ["/usr/include/sys/time.h",
line 489].
    char select ();
         ^^^^^^

This is the culprit of your problem. Is it possible to somehow lax the
strictness of the compiler when you run the configure script?