cURL and a tricky Server ( or maybe simple user of cURL :) )

From: Tapio Jarnfors <tapio.järnfors_at_esanet.fi>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:56:19 -0000

Hello

I am trying to have a web page to my harddisk on every hour as
following:
GET /html/derivativedata.html?
symbol=NOK1V.HSE&language=fi HTTP/1.1
Host: hex.is-asp.com
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

and I get following reply:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: FTS (C)1997-2003 IS Innovative Software AG
Connection: close
Pragma: no-cache

At begin downloading starts and if I have a speed 128k everything
works and I the page as needed. This with my speedy laptop.
But on my old computer I have Win98 and it’s slowly one, so
maximum speed is only 56k. After 30 s I lost connection (forced by
Server, on my mind) and page is incomplete. If speed is lower
then I lost more (always after 30 s connection time).

I run cURL on command line is as following:
cURL -A "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)" -
o "0302141212.html" http://hex.is-
asp.com/html/derivativedata.html?
symbol=NOK1V.HSE&language=fi

As example, here is one of my tests (I use Windows version of
nnCron (by the way, one of the best - as advertisement for them)
for scheduling)
#( Test
: URL-File S" http://hex.is-asp.com/html/derivativedata.html?
symbol=NOK1V.HSE&language=fi" ;
AsLoggedUser
Time: */30 * * * * * \every 30 minutes
Rule: INTERVAL: 09:00-20:30 \between 09:00-20:30
Action: \run this task
START-APPW: "C:\My Download Files\nnCron\cURL" -
A "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)" -o "%YY%%MM%
%DD%%hh%%mm%.html" %URL-File%
WaitFor: 60000 \if not completed on 60 second then forced to end

)#

Also this same happens with Telnet (as following) and with Excel
+ WebQuery, so I thing it’s not depend on cURL itself, user-Agent
etc. Also I tried something like this with another service provider
and it was working okay. (length of page was 350k something)

As example, here is Excel query on Telnet:
CRT - Version 4.0.2 (build 390)
GET http://hex.is-asp.com/html/derivativedata.html?
symbol=NOK1V.HSE&language=fi HTTP/1.0
Accept: text/html, text/plain, text/xml
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
T312461; Q312461)
Host: hex.is-asp.com

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: FTS (C)1997-2003 IS Innovative Software AG
Connection: close
Pragma: no-cac

Is it possible that server is putting some limit for connection and
how I can bypass that (or can I )?
Once I asked their Webmaster but they did not reply anything.
Option –C is not working (because of HTTP 1.0 on server side, or
maybe I have some mistake on it)

Thanks at advance

Tapsa