Re: Build failures -- (obsolete) IBM XLC 1.2.1 AIX 3.2.5

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:02:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Matthew Clarke wrote:

> Just built cURL 7.10.2 on an AIX 3.2.5 system with the bundled XLC 1.2.1
> compiler. This is an obsolete platform no longer supported even by IBM,
> but, in case you want to make any changes, I encountered the following:

Thanks for telling! Yes I do want curl to build fine on as many platforms as
possible, and this includes the one you mention here!

> The definition for "fd_set" comes from the system include file
> "sys/select.h". To avoid syntax errors from "fd_set*" declarations, I had
> to add "#include <sys/select.h>" to the end of "setup.h" in both "lib/" and
> "src/".

I'd prefer not to pollute the setup.h files with specific includes like this,
so I've went through the C files and added inclusion of <sys/select.h> in
those that previously didn't include it even though they used fd_set.

> This system's "/usr/include/sys/errno.h" has code to "#define" the macro
> "geterrno()", which conflicts with your "geterrno(void)" in lib/connect.c.
> I just added "#undef geterrno" to lib/connect.c, right before your function
> definition. The comments in IBM's header file indicate that their
> "geterrno()" macro was added from OSF.

Oh, interesting. But then it might not be a macro in all systems claiming to
be OSF-like, so I think changing the name of the function in libcurl is a
better fix.

> And thank you, very much, for cURL. It has been very useful.

Thanks for your feedback.