[ curl-Bugs-679693 ] manpg incorrectly states cert dirs not supported on windows

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:10:12 -0800

Bugs item #679693, was opened at 2003-02-03 18:10
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=679693&group_id=976

Category: documentation
Group: None

Initial Comment:
cURL 0.10.3 built with mingw on winnt

The curl manpage incorrectly states:
"Certificate directories are not supported under
Windows (because c_rehash uses symbolink
links to create them). "

(symbolink ??)

From what I can see in Openssl CVS, as of April
2001, c_rehash checks whether symlinks are
available, and if not does a copy.

With some adjustments, c_rehash can be run under
msys or a windows command prompt and
generates the hash-named copies.

I can confirm that on my winnt system the
certificates verify just fine for https URLs when I
use --capath using a certs dir generated with a
slightly hacked c_rehash as above, or by running:
openssl x509 -noout -hash -in <certfile>
for each pem file and manually making copies
named <hash>.0

However... when I ran a slightly modified c_rehash
in a cygwin shell, the windows 'equivalent' of
symbolic links were generated (shortcuts?).
Using --capath with a certs directory containing
these shortcuts does not seem to work. It returns
the 'certificate verify failed' error.

Note also: "curl --help" also implies --capath can
not work on windows.

This issue has been touched upon before:
e.g http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2002-
08/0068.html
In fact, the cURL CHANGES file mentions under
version 7.9.8-pre2 28 May 2002 that the symlinks
need to be replaced with actual copies to work on
Windows.

Isn't it time the manpage and --help stopped
implying it was impossible?