RE: Problems compiling cURL 7.10.1 on Solaris 9.

From: Dabney, Blane <BDabney_at_dallasnews.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:47:11 -0600

> Hehehe you guys are probably getting tired of this thread, so
> I'll make it
> brief. I figured out this error message. I edited libtool to
> pass --verbose
> to the linker, and I got this:
>
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- v
> usage: ld ...
>
> GAH! It's still trying to use the Sun linker! WHY!? Oh God,
> why!? This one
> baffled me to no end... LD in libtool is set to /usr/local/bin/ld...
> /usr/ccs/bin isn't in my PATH... WTF? Well, I noticed that
> /usr/ucb is at
> the end of my PATH... and LO AND BEHOLD! a copy of
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld is in
> /usr/ucb... Oh, the humanity...

Ok... wrong again, but I think I've got it now, heh... All of the linker
options in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.2/specs tell gcc to look
in /usr/ccs and /usr/ucb for everything, which begs the question WHY? Why
did the guys at sunfreeware do this? Well, I think I know HOW it happened
(the used /usr/ccs/bin/ld to link gcc when they compiled it), but why did
they do this when they know that gcc and Sun's ld don't behave?