RE: Problems compiling cURL 7.10.1 on Solaris 9.

From: Dabney, Blane <BDabney_at_dallasnews.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:15:13 -0600

> > Ok, I think I've figured something out, but I still don't
> > know how to fix
> > it, but here's a couple clues:
> >
> > > ... -Wl,-soname -Wl,libcurl.so.2 -o
> >
> > and...
> >
> > > ld: fatal: file libcurl.so.2: open failed: No such file
> or directory
> >
> > It looks like libtool is generating the '-Wl,' options
> > incorrectly. Using
> > their current syntax, the '-Wl,' options should be '-Xlinker'
> > options. I
> > think the correct syntax with '-Wl,' should be:
> > '-Wl,-soname,libcurl.so.2'.
> > However, I have no idea how to make libtool do this properly.
> >

> Ok, I figured out how to make libtool use -Xlinker instead,
> but I get the
> exact same warning/errors.

Hehehe you guys are probably getting tired of this thread, so I'll make it
brief. I figured out this error message. I edited libtool to pass --verbose
to the linker, and I got this:

/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- v
usage: ld ...

GAH! It's still trying to use the Sun linker! WHY!? Oh God, why!? This one
baffled me to no end... LD in libtool is set to /usr/local/bin/ld...
/usr/ccs/bin isn't in my PATH... WTF? Well, I noticed that /usr/ucb is at
the end of my PATH... and LO AND BEHOLD! a copy of /usr/ccs/bin/ld is in
/usr/ucb... Oh, the humanity...