RE: [ curl-Bugs-627326 ] 7.10.x SSL Win32 cannot work with https

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:43:03 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> Hey Daniel - could the error message be changed? Instead of "verify
> failed", could we have "verify failed (use --ca-cert or -k)"?

I general, that would be good, yes. My first attempts had this special extra
error message that would give the user a lot more information.

The reason why I've decided to not introduce a separate curl error, is that I
want to allow the SSL layer to decide wheather this is good or bad (as one
day, who knows, the SSL layer might solve this differently or provide its own
root CA bundle or whatever), and when this fails, libcurl doesn't have
information enough to know exactly what kind of error it was that caused the
failed connection.

Of course, if we *can* figure out a way for libcurl to know that this failed
due to do a bad certificate check, then we could indeed add some extra text
to the error output.