curl newbie - problems accessing web addresses through Proxy

From: <Niall_Furlong_at_dell.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:21:08 -0500

I apologise in advance if I have taken the incorrect route to raise a query
on the use of curl.
I have become acquainted with curl for the first time today.
My immediate concern is to use curl as part of a monitoring solution. We
use BMC Patrol but as yet BMC don't have any direct Website up/down type
checks available.

When trying to connect to any external websites, I need to use a proxy. I
have included the proxy details in the command below. I subsequently add in
my password.
The following is the reponse I get. I was unable to find a reason for the
"parameter is incorrect" error on the curl.haxx.se website and so that's why
Ive found myself writing this mail.
I am running this command off a command prompt on a WIN2k system.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards
Niall Furlong

C:\progs\curl>curl -v http://www.independent.ie -x proxy:80 -U
europe\niall_furlong
proxy password:* About to connect() to proxy:80
* Connected to emfproxyarray.mfg.ie.dell.com (10.15.14.199) port 80
> GET http://www.independent.ie HTTP/1.1
Proxy-authorization: Basic ZXVyb3BlXG5pYWxsX2Z1cmxvbmc6SGVsbG82
Host: www.independent.ie
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*