Re: problem with curl FTP download from MVS host

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:15:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 cla_at_oerag.de wrote:

> I just used curl for the very first time (great tool BTW)

Thanks!

> curl 7.10 (powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0) libcurl/7.10 zlib/1.1.4
>
> and wanted to upload and download files from/to an MVS host.
>
> For upload I can specify the --crlf parameter in order to have proper LF
> translation, but for download this parameter can be specified, yet I
> receive CRLFs instead of LFs.
>
> I understand from the manual and --help text that crlf is intended for
> upload only, but am just guessing now why this is not working (and BTW not
> recected !) on download operations. Right from reading the help texts I
> assumed that using this option would possibly just not be necessary, and it
> likely would just be handled in a correct way automatically, but now my
> tests revealed the opposite.

The option --crlf was added a long time ago by somone who needed it for some
specific reason, and it has just kind of been following along since those
days. There is no actual reason why it doesn't affect downloads, other than
that no one ever has wanted it before.

> Have I missed something ?

I don't think so.

> Does anybody have similar problems ? Somebody with hints for curl when used
> to download from MVS host ?

Well, I guess you can postprocess these files pretty easily if CRLF => LF is
all you wanna do,

> Or should I even pass that as a request to the developers ?

You could. But I guess most of us read this list as well, so we're hereby
aware of this situation.