Re: cURL 7.9.8 with OpenSSL-0.9.6g on RHLinux 7.2

From: Bijal Kothari <bijal.kothari_at_hi2.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:26:51 +0100

Ralph/Daniel,

You may be right in saying that the problem exists in the RHLinux in-built
rpm openssl/curl package.

I successfully managed to install cURL finally after Daniel's suggestion and
used your suggestion to compile using configure with path of ssl directory.

>To manually override this, edit the curl/lib/config.h file and #undef
>HAVE_OPENSSL_ENGINE_H in there. Then rebuild curl again.

May be the developers should come up with the next version of cURL, with a
detection mechanism in that.
On installation, let cURL detect openSSL engine from redHat.
and then prompt:
cURL has detected the openSSL engine version xxx from redhat Linux, do you
want this installation to use newer version of openSSL? yes/no.

default should be yes.
and then let ./configure make the appropriate changes in the engine.h header
file and compile cURL properly.

just a suggestion :))

Thank you very much to both of you.
Bijal Kothari.
bijal.kothari_at_hi2.com

> Isn't the root cause of this problem something to do with RedHat
> including the ENGINE stuff in the openssl RPMs? De-installing the
> RPMs would fix that, but I suspect openssl is tied into other stuff
> and you'd end up deinstalling something useful, like /bin/login or
> /bin/bash... :)
>
> If you can't deinstall the the RPMs, removing/renaming /usr/include/openssl
> (or whatever) would be another way to fix it.
>
> Ralph Mitchell
>
> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Bijal Kothari wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you for prompt reply and suggestion. I tried the config method you
> > > suggested. Now cURL fails to make, see the error i get.
> > >
> > > I re-compiled OpenSSl0.9g and then cURL.
> >
> > > ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to
`ENGINE_load_private_key'
> > > ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_set_default'
> > > ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_free'
> > > ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_by_id'
> >
> > curl attempts to use these particular functions since the configure script
> > detected a header file for the SSL ENGINE stuff (openssl/engine.h) in your
> > openssl include directory. That file is normally only present when you've
> > installed the OpenSSL ENGINE support.
> >
> > To manually override this, edit the curl/lib/config.h file and #undef
> > HAVE_OPENSSL_ENGINE_H in there. Then rebuild curl again.
> >
> > --
> Welcome to geek heaven.
> http://thinkgeek.com/sf

Bijal Kothari