cURL and openssl

From: Ralph Mitchell <rmitchell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 00:12:37 -0500

I think there may be a problem with configure...

My situation: I have a DL380 with RedHat7.2 which, among other things, has
openssl-0.9.6b installed. For better or for worse, it seems to include the
openssl-engine code, judging by the existence of /usr/include/openssl/engine.h,
and that's where configure is hurting me.

I just compiled and installed the most recent openssl, putting it under
/usr/local/openssl-0.9.6d. I then downloaded and compiled curl-7.9.7 and was
surprised to discover that the build failed right at the end because the loader
couldn't find a bunch of ENGINE_* references. Here're the final lines from the
build:

gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/curl main.o hugehelp.o urlglob.o writeout.o writeenv.o
-L/usr/local/openssl-0.9.6d/lib ../lib/.libs/libcurl.so -lssl -lcrypto -ldl
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/curl-7.9.7/lib
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_load_private_key'
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_set_default'
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_free'
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `ENGINE_by_id'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It's correctly going out to get the ssl libs from the newly installed 0.9.6d,
but somewhere previously, libcurl was built to expect the engine version of
openssl.

I think it all starts around line 385 in configure.in, where the ssl header
checks take place. It has lines like:

    AC_CHECK_HEADERS(openssl/engine.h)

which happily finds engine.h under /usr/include/openssl. It *has* to be
finding that one, because there is *no* other engine.h in the entire
machine... It doesn't seem to limit itself to checking in the openssl
directory I specify using:

    ./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl-0.9.6d

Uninstalling the openssl-devel rpm made the problem go away, but even so, why
would configure look elsewhere than where I told it openssl would be ?

This isn't really a big problem for me now that I've ditched the openssl-devel
rpm, but it might come back and bite someone else, which is mainly why I'm
getting this into the mailing list archive... :)

Ralph Mitchell