RE: curl 7.9.7 pre-release 1

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 13:34:40 -0400

[ Sorry for sending most of this twice - I accidentally hit the send button early before I was finished... ]

Thanks for the new features. I especially like the new --trace option!

Here's some results of testing under Cygwin.

I found that the --trace option doesn't seem to work properly in combination with -o, -O and -v. Perhaps others too, but these were the issues I stumbled on. My test URL (for what it's worth) is "http://mweb-test:8099/AdBlocker.js".

 $ curl -O --trace tmp.txt URL
>>> seg faults, but still generates the (correct) -O and --trace output

 $ curl -o tmp.htm --trace tmp.txt URL
>>> same as with -O

 $ curl -v --trace tmp.txt URL
>>> no trace file generated, and no "verbose output" to stdout (connecting, headers, etc)
>>> I do see the content of the URL scroll by

 $ curl -v --trace tmp.txt URL | more
>>> this may be an issue with the (new) version of more under cygwin, however
>>> the behavior is exactly the same as the previous, except it also creates a
>>> curl.exe.stackdump. I don't ever see a "segmentation fault" message

 $ curl -v -I --trace tmp.txt URL
>>> still no trace file generated. However, I do see the HTTP response headers
>>> on the screen.

 $ curl --trace - URL
>>> I would have guessed that the trace output in this command would go
>>> to stdout, instead it goes to a file named "-" (a bit hard to `cat`
>>> or `vi`...). I realize this is probably intentional behavior, but
>>> thought I'd pass the comment along in case you overlooked something.

A comment on the format of --trace: any chance you could add the ability to "turn off" the hex character output in the trace file? I like the rest of the format, but find that 16 characters per line can be hard to read. I would love to see an option to place 64 characters across, with no hex translation, as in:

  == Info: About to connect() to mweb-test:8099
  == Info: Connected to mweb-test (89.2.42.216) port 8099
  => Send header 219 (0xdb) bytes
  0000: HEAD /AdBlocker.js HTTP/1.1..User-Agent: curl/7.9.7-pre1 (i686-p
  0040: c-cygwin) libcurl 7.9.7-pre1 (OpenSSL 0.9.6c)..Host: mweb-test:8

Also - since you did the nice job of separating the received headers into individual chunks, shouldn't the sent headers also be separated? Or else, shouldn't none of them be separated?

I tested the fix for dumping multiple headers (-D) on one call to curl.exe. It now works as expected.

Thanks,
--Kevin