Re: Solaris 8/gcc 2.95.3/OpenSSL 0.9.6c/curl 7.9.5

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:58:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Kenneth Simpson wrote:

> Hi - first, I can build curl 7.9.5 without SSL under Solaris 8 without any
> problems.
>
> And it appears to work - at least on the few sites I've tested it on.
>
> But when I attempt to turn on SSL, the linking fails with the following
> error
>

> Undefined first referenced
> symbol in file
> main /usr/openssl/lib/libssl.so

main?!?

I've checked two of my installations of OpenSSL 0.9.6c. None of them has a
main included (when running strings on them). One being a Solaris 2.7
installation.

Besides, of course curl comes with a main()...

> Now, I've built OpenSSH, OpenLDAP, Apache mod_ssl, and the perl SSL
> routines with this installation of OpenSSL and I haven't had trouble with
> main being undefined.

I've never seen such an error before. And I've seen SSL-related problems
reported with curl many years...!

In fact, curl and the linking of curl with SSL and other stuff has no
particular magic involved and should be pretty much the same as other clients
that use OpenSSL.

> In addition, when I linked the above applications to the OpenSSL libraries,
> the following libraries were required (in addition to libssl and libcrypto)
>
> -lRSAglue -lrsaref

If you needed those for the other applications, they'll be needed for curl
too. However, curl's configure script attempts to figure that out
automaticly.