Re: Newbie's question on cURL usage

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:44:31 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Yanhui Liu wrote:

> Wow...!! Such a wild a ride, amazingly it worked! Thanks a lot, Ralph.
> Definitely this makes my day brighter:-)
>
> Now looking at the solution, I have a little bit more understanding how to
> use cURL -- just follow the redirect (action) chains and keep the cookie
> information at the same time, till you reach the target. Am I right?
> However, can this philosophy apply to every situation?

Yes, that approach works for most or at least many situations.

> Also I really think all these steps are too much for beginners. Is it
> possible to allow cURL to automate this process? We know the input (login
> info) and output (target page), cURL could handle all the mess internally
> instead of shifting the burden to the user. Is this technically achievable?
> Maybe it is just a naive idea.

It might work, sure, on many cases where you wanna do similar things as you
were doing.

If you wanna help us make curl (or a curl clone) do what you suggest, then
I'm positive and I'll indeed try to help out.

I don't believe in stuffing everything we can imagine into the single too
curl, and that's also why most of the stuff is library based and thus easily
made in a separate tool.

Personally, I concentrate on the library and transfer issues, not content.
That doesn't mean that others can do that, just that my time is limited and I
have to draw the line somewhere.

> PS: An example section could be created somewhere in the documentation, and
> Ralph's solution will benefit quite a few people.

That's a good idea.

I'd appreciate if you'd donate the necessary comments and texts for a first
shot!