Re: Need Some Help Installing OpenSSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:52:18 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Jeff Miller wrote:

> I couldn't find any directories named 'lib' so apparantly OpenSSL isn't
> being installed when running 'make install'.

You could try to read the output. When you do 'make install' it says a lot of
things. The output includes the target directories where it puts the files.

> I have no idea why this is happening because I've compiled lots of other
> modules as well as cURL and didn't have any problems.

This is clearly not a curl problem, this is an install-OpenSSL problem.

I did this exact operation (installed a local OpenSSL and then built curl
using the local SSL installation) just a few days ago with no problems at
all.

> I searched my web host's forums and saw somebody else was trying to
> install OpenSSL last month and ran into problems:
>
> I tried to install OpenSSL in my directories, but having a lot of
> problems. I pass the --openssldir=/mydir/openssl to ./config so that
> openssl will be installed in a different directory than the default. But
> after I did 'make' and 'make install', nothing was installed! I tried
> several variations of the --openssldir path, but non worked. Just
> wondering if anyone encountered this problem before.
>
> What a strange problem.
>
> I guess I won't be able to use cURL with SSL. :-(

Unless you can get your staff to install OpenSSL for you. Or you can install
it somewhere else and then copy the binary files over to your place!