Re: Building cURL with ssl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:19:32 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Huy Nguyen wrote:

> I ran into the following problem in trying to build curl with ssl.
>
> I'm cross compiling curl for PPC on x86 so my libssl and include files
> are in non standard place. Therefore I'm using the following command to
> configure curl.
>
> CPPFLAGS="-I/path/to/ssl.h" LDFLAGS="-L/path/to/ssl/libs" \
> ./configure
>
> This generates a config.h that has HAVE_SSL_H, hAVE_CRYPTO_H defined but
> does not have HAVE_LIBSSL and HAVE_LIBCRYPTO defined. As a result, the flag
> USE_SSLEAY is not turned on.
> I do have libssl.so and libcrypto.so under the path that LDFLAGS points to.
> What am I missing?

It really isn't that complicated. configure tries to link a very small
program using symbols from those libraries, and if it fails it decides those
libraries aren't available. It is impossible to guess why that fails, without
getting a lot more info from you, but you should start off yourself by
studying the configure output and even more important, check the config.log
fail that will show you the exact compiler command line that didn't succeed
and caused configure to make these assumptions.

Anyway, if all that fails, you can still _always_ just fire up your favourite
editor and edit you ./config.h file exactly as you *know* your system works.
Paths and stuff for libs and include files can always be patched into the
Makefiles manually.