HTTPS / Cert / XML Post problems

From: Michael S. Steuer <michael_at_steuer.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:29:09 +0200

Hi guys & gals,

I'm using Curl::Easy (libcurl perl interface) to post XML content over
HTTPS with a client certificate to a webserver, from within my perl
application. Every now and then I get a:

Error 403.7
HTTP Error 403

403.7 Forbidden: Client certificate required

This error occurs when the resource you are attempting to access
requires your browser to have a client Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
certificate that the server recognizes. This is used for authenticating
you as a valid user of the resource.

Please contact the Web server's administrator to obtain a valid client
certificate.

Which means that the web server apparently never received the
certificate! The application is always the same and the XML content too.
It seems to happen totally randomly, there is no apparent logic behind
it.

Is this a known problem/bug? Is there something to do about it?
I'm using: perl 5.005, libcurl 7.7.2, OpenSSL 0.9.6, curl::easy 1.15

Thanks for your reply, regards,

Michael.