Re: Curl and HTTP/1.0

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:31:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Wico de Leeuw wrote:

> >Can you give us a good explanation why we want to add such a feature? ;-)
>
> I am getting a page from a (crappy) server that uses cookies to track
> sessions when doing a request on the server with HTTP/1.0 everything is
> fine and the server accepts my cookie (using wget)

> BUT when i use curl it won't accept my cookie... i tested this for a
> while (using proxys and stuff) and the only thing i can see thats
> different is that wget does a HTTP/1.0 get and curl a HTTP/1.1 request

You could always just handicraft a request using telnet to find out for
absolutetly sure. Do the exact same request with 1.0 and 1.1.

Or even, patch your curl source code (lib/http.c) to use 1.0 for testing
purposes.

> It's not nessacery to use HTTP/1.1 cuz i only want the data and don't
> want to do fancy stuff ;)

Well, the standards actually allow a client to request a 1.0 server using 1.1
request. If this is the problem/solution, then this is because the server is
being silly.

(I'm not saying that isn't reason enough, I just want to explain why things
are as they are today.)

> I'd like to see such an option in curl... i can retrive in php how a page
> is being called (1.0 or 1.1) and can take action on it.. Using curl on
> such a server will limit the data i'll can get for example.
>
> I hope this is a good reason :)

Yes. We should add the ability to specify which HTTP version to use in
requests. Any volounteer?