non-blocking sockets portability test

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:40:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Hey ho!

[crossposted mail, keep future mails in this subject on the libcurl list]

Instead of doing anything else, I've started to improve how connects are made
in libcurl. I've decided to introduce non-blocking connects for those
operating systems that support them (which I suppose most operating systems
do).

This time, I'm taking a rather casual approach and I've hacked up a separate
test program I want us to make compile and run on as many operating systems
as possible.

The package is currently 53108 bytes and you get it here:

        http://curl.haxx.se/dev/nonblockconnect.tar.gz

I would like to urge as many as possible to get this, unpack, run configure,
and then compile and run 'make test'. If anything was needed to get it to
compile or build, submit a fix. When successful, please post what OS you're
using.

The actual test program is a less than 200 lines C source. There's also a
configure script named 'nonblock.m4' included in the package that we need to
make sure works for most/all systems.

It seems to already work fine on Solaris (2.7) and Linux (2.4). I would
especially like to know the mileage on windows machines and machines that
don't support O_NONBLOCKING. Amiga seems to have its own system too, but I
wouldn't really expect anyone to actually have one to try this on... B-]