RE: curl cookie jar

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:00:32 -0400

 1. File locking. It was said we need file locking to have several
invoked
    curls all write to the same destination file. I have serious doubts
    around this. Not only do I suspect that people will still make
mistakes
    when using a single output file, but we'll also get problems with
systems
    that don't do proper locking (like various OSes or just systems
running
    on NFS or similar).
<<<<<<

The alternative is that we do this ourselves somehow; probably by
specifying
a different cookie-jar name for each distinct curl session. This puts
more
control into our hands, but perhaps makes it more likely that we'll make
mistake.

 2. Cookie filtering. Are we gonna support that somehow? How would one
want
    to filter cookies? On sending and/or receving cookies?
<<<<<<

I would like the option to only "accept" cookies sent back to their
originating
server. Those sent to a different server are known as third-party
cookies, and
are most likely used to track visits for advertising/profiling purposes.

Regarding the issue of "session" cookies vs permanent -- in the June
thread, it
seemed to be a consensus that all cookies would be stored in the same
cookie-jar
file, and that the decision to clear out session cookies would be done
during
the loading process. A possible problem here is if one curl wants to
clear the session
cookies, but another curl doesn't, and writes the session cookies back.