Auto-proxy configuration option for curl?

From: Halliburton, Pat <phalliburton_at_ti.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:12:06 -0500

I have a Perl script which calls Curl as a commandline utility on Solaris.
Currently, I'm using environment variables HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY and
NO_PROXY to set protocol specific proxy settings. This script basically
just uses Curl to test a set of intranet and internet url's, ie. can they be
accessed successfully or not. This method of proxy cofiguration works fine
for most urls. However, there are some urls which consistently fail using
these proxy setttings yet work fine in my workstation browsers if I use an
"auto-proxy" configuration url option instead of setting specific protocol
proxy server setttings. I'd like to use this "auto-proxy" option with curl
but am having trouble finding any curl doc that describes how to do that.
There is a mention of another environment variable: ALL_PROXY. Is that
what I need, ie. just set to the url which I use for the auto-proxy settings
in my workstation browsers? Or is there some curl commandline option which
allows me to specify this?

Regards,
Pat