curl return code 139

From: Dustin Boswell <boswell_at_caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

I'm calling curl from a python script (using os.system() which
returns the exit status). I first divide the exit code by
256 (because the code I want is in the upper 8 bits right?).
I first check to make sure it's divisible by 256 (which is
was in my case). But the code (after / 256) was 139.
What error is that? I'm having trouble getting a verbose
printout of the curl call because the -v option is what seems
to cause the 139 error! And even weirder, calling curl
on www.python.org causes the error while www.yahoo.com (for
instance) does not.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Appreciatively,